Monday, November 14, 2016

Curriculum

Question -Curriculum
Who decides what has to be learned? You, your child, some specific curriculum, social pressure?


AK :
You according to the child/ children's interests and weaknesses.


Dr. MRK: 3 children / 7 yr son, 4 yr daughter , 1 yr son
My children never went to school and I use the children guidance method. Whatever the children take interest in I teach them. I have developed their habit of asking questions and observing things, and never let down their question, whatever question they ask we research it together and every time we cover a topic like this.

Sb: 2 boys, 1 girl ages/ 5-10
It's a bit of all three, but mostly, I decide the curriculum. I like to have some structure so I use the Oxford books as a guide line for science and humanities. The order we learn in varies according to what the children's interests are at the time, or what I'm more prepared to teach.
I like to tie in learning with religious events, national events or things happening in the news. It makes the book work more relevant to the children.
Social pressure would affect me more in the first year or two of homeschooling. I'd feel stressed that i wasn't doing enough after meeting schooled kids. I know better now. We all get through at our own pace, enriching our children's learning as best we can.


TS: 3 daughters/ 4 yrs, twins 2 yrs
Since my eldest daughter had eczema the day she was born I knew that she is not going to attend school in near future,so I decided to start schooling her at the age of 8 months. At the age of 9 months she already knew the actions for most of the opposites and counting from 1-5 and random stuff like salaam and actions for nursery rhymes. So the point is that a mother can sense at a very early age whether her child needs social grouping in the form of school or he /she can learn from only the family.
From 6 months onward you are in-charge of her social development, so you can decide what is best for her but as a toddler u should definitely observe what your child NEEDS: if he just needs you then the answer is clear, if he is more comfortable with kids around him then its also clear.


Umm Raeyan: Daughter 8 yrs, son 2 yrs (this family lives in the middle East)
For geography, history, social studies I go with child's interest or on going events; news, books  we are reading or a movie we watched.For English, science and mathematics I buy workbooks and use them as a guide (of) what the child of that age group / grade should know. 
My daughter is now doing grade level 4 and I have a feeling the workbook I am referring to isn't covering all the topics so I do online research and refer to Bay view Academy and Headstart course outline / syllabus so there aren't any 'gaps'.
I am totally convinced with the idea of homeschooling however due to lack of co-curricular activities I often consider sending my daughter to school 😕 Hence I feel the need to follow a curriculum for these subjects.


Mrs AH: 2 boys/ages 7 and 15
The short answer is I decide.
But the reality of it is that I have to take into consideration more than just my wishes.Sometimes they just have different interests than what I've anticipated,other times I feel that if there is a certain skill they haven't gained confidence with then they need to work on it a bit harder and then there is the time when they come of age and exams are knocking at the door.Some might be fortunate enough to be able to take exams in subjects that truly interest them and some will feel that the examination curriculum and methodology doea not suit their natural way of learning;in this case,if one chooses to go through the whole process,one must also make an effort to maybe learn things that will soon be forgotten or not come in any use,but it's a necessary evil in the system that's set up nowadays


Ummibaps: 8 sons, 1 daughter / 2yrs to 18yrs
What to teach depends on the parents, children and your situation;  BUT that does not mean that homeschooling has to be a DIY project (regarding teaching materials and content).
In Karachi we now have several stationers and book stores where you can compare books and chose those best suited to your family's needs. You can even pointedly ask them to show you books for a certain subject used by particular schools and then browse through them.
IF your children decide to sit for Cambridge examinations they will need to use the books and follow the curriculum for the O level and A level paper . Curriculum, text books and past papers are available in shops here too.
Prior to the O/A examination ,  you can choose to teach subjects and content of your choice. Once your child and you decide to begin preparation for O levels ,Matriculation, etc you can seek tutors and tuition centers to help you prepare for the paper.
We also take advantage of the various workshops Science, crafts etc) offered for children in the city.

HS: 2 daughters , 1 son./Age 15-11
Well, we try to discuss about our curriculum. We set short term goals. And once we achieve  them, we move on. At times we lose interest so we try to shift a bit. Now Alhamdulilah my two elder ones are preparing for O levels so even i am following the path that Ummibaps  just discussed. The only difference is I am trying to conduct variety of sessions and workshops for my kids at home.



 MN: Would it be ok if change my homeschool strategies frequently.....?? caz sometimes my son doesn't respond good🤔




Ummibaps: How old is your son Mariam?



MN‬:
He is 9




Mrs AH:
I have personally changed methods numerous times.Ad homeschoolers we try to figure out how our kids' minds work and try to cater to their specific way of processing information.
I don't think there's anything wrong with changing something that doesn't work.



Umm Salaar :
I would say that's the whole positive edge of homeschooling
That it gives a family that freedom to explore and decide as per the child



MN:
This is the main benefit of homeschooling.....something our teaching style doesn't match with our kid's learning style.....



Ummibaps:
Conclusion:
-  what a child is taught is determined by many things:the child's needs,  parents priorities,  curriculum provided by a organization,  availability of resources
- parents may design the content of study themselves
- there is flexibility in the curriculum : if a topic or book seems not beneficial they can set it aside for later or discard it all together
- families may choose to send their children for tutions to study different subjects
- they can opt for workshops as well as online resources
In short homeschoolers have the ability to choose what their family will study and how they want to go about doing it.


(Note: The above is a copy of a Whatsapp conversation,   partly edited for clarity)

No comments:

Post a Comment